The following weekend, at another wedding I wore a modern 40s/50s look dress in a black lined cotton with purple, blue and white flowers. I wouldn't normally wear black to a wedding but this dress just seemed to be right so I teamed it with purple tights and black shoes. When I got to the wedding I discovered it was themed with the same shade of purple! I shall add photos this week.
Any way, what has this got to do with the Butterick dress? Well I supposed to be wearing it to the first wedding and, since I changed my mind, I didn't get on with finishing it. To be honest I've made so many changes I've lost my impetus somewhat but I must must finish it. My new deadline is 22nd August for Mango's first birthday!
The most adjusted bit is the bodice, here is the pattern view bodice:
Could I get it to look pretty like that?! The neckline came up too high and there just felt like there was too much fabric across my bust.
So I ended up reducing it pretty much to a deep V surplice although with enough fabric to preserve modesty! The tuck darts look pretty cute in the muslin too.
But I was still contemplating converting them to gathers to make like easier, I'd seen it on a few other patterns of the time and more modern. These were my alternative inspiration pics for the surplice:
Then when I was fitting my lining before I cut out the outer dress layers I stumbled across a new alternative. I tried on the lining inside to get a matt finish to mimic the dress crepe and the neck flopped back into a satiny rever collar, "oooh pretty" I thought! So here it is in its new design in lining and then with the actual crepe outer dress layer in place. You can see I was toying with doing the midriff in the satin side too but decided it was overload. The revers are interfaced now to give them structure and support as is the midriff because I wanted a super smooth stomach line to mimic the corsetted look.
It all needs sewing together now, its so close, just got to find my sewing mojo and get on with it. The matching petticoat is also in mid-production, I wanted to try gathering the layers with my ruffling foot but that's proving to require so much thought and input it would probably be quicker to hand gather! Since I intend to make more petticoats, I think its worth taking the time now to learn how to do the machine way and make the process quicker in future. That's the logic anyway haha.